Unity Tutorial 05

Unity Tutorial Week 6
Source: wikimedia


Hi!

In this weeks Unity tutorials, Jimmy Vegas continued to cover more material and features in Unity. Specifically, this week he covered a new feature called skyboxes. Skyboxes are packages that can be taken/downloaded from the assets store and placed into your project to change the overall appearance of the sky and how others will see it when they play the game. I found the tutorial really helpful because it covered all the parts within skyboxes. Since the skybox usually comes in a default material, I now know how to change and customise it to whatever I think would suit my game. This is a really simple feature to understand and it adds a lot to the over all look and feel of your game, this makes the skybox an important feature. The tutorial also covered directional lighting along side the skybox to create a more darker look to the game. I found this interesting because it is something that I will definitely using when I'm  creating my game.

Having covered these two aspects, Jimmy then moved on and introduced wind zones. Wind zones are what makes objects like trees or grass simulate slight swinging to show that there is wind present in the environment. I followed the tutorial and I now know how to add wind zones onto different areas of the map. This will come in handy when I'm creating my game because it will help to make the environment feel more real.
In the next tutorial I learned how to pick up the axe that we've made in a previous tutorial. In the tutorial, Jimmy put the axe in a tree and placed a cube collider around it. The cube is what allows us to be able to pick up the axe. The next part wasn't my favourite as it involved the script and adding code. I found myself having to replay the video a couple of times to wrap my head around what Jimmy was actually doing.

Overall, I enjoyed watching the tutorials on these new features and then going into Unity myself to experiment with them. I found things like the skybox and wind zones especially interesting because I will most likely end up using them in my game.
Thanks for reading.

Comments