Game Idea Research

Game Reserach
Source: pixabay
Hi guys!

In this post I'm going to take one of my four game ideas and conduct more research on one of them, to find out if that idea is something that I'd like to pursue and create. My four ideas included a progression game, a free roam game, a running obstacle game and finally an arcade type game. The idea that I'm going to be taking forward and doing more research on is the progression game idea.

Progression games are fun! From experience they're a great way to kill time when you're bored or when having to wait for that one friend that is always late, no matter if you give them a 3 hour heads up! Most of these games share an addicting aspect to them that keep the player wanting more.

What is progression gameplay?
According to Techopedio progression gameplay is
"Progression gameplay is a game design term that refers to video game mechanics in which the designer sets a course of action that a player must complete to move forward in the game." techopedia

To get started I began thinking what type of game mechanics would work well with this type of game and I think I narrowed it down to the following three
- Catch Up
- Game Points
- Eliminate

Catch Up
This game mechanic involves designing the game to make the progress towards victory more difficult  the closer the player gets to the goal. In my opinion this game mechanic is fun because it assures the players full attention on whatever he/she is doing because they want to succeed. But, this game mechanic can also be overused to the point where is becomes impossible to achieve the goal. In my case I'm going to have to be careful if I include this game mechanic in my game to make sure the path to the goal is exciting and not impossible.

Game Points
In today's day and age most games keep a track of the players progress otherwise known as their high score. The high score of a video game is the longest logged point value that the player reached. Using this game mechanic I'd like to reward players when they achieve milestones in their high-scores. This motivates the player to keep playing or to upgrade their character in order to increase their chances of reaching the goal. I've read the following article which I found to be helpful in getting a clear picture of this game mechanic. (I only read the Goals & Rewards section) Game Studies

Eliminate
This game mechanic is simple but also makes the game more engaging. In recent years we saw this game mechanic everywhere, it really grew popular thanks to the Battle Royal games such as Fortnite Battle Royal and Pud G (PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds).
I'd like to use this game mechanic in the following way. Design obstacles in which the players would have to eliminate and pass through in order to complete the objectives, placing them closer to the goal.

To conclude this blog post, I think this would be a fun game idea to continue on for the rest of the semester. Of course it would take a lot of work to complete, but that's the downside to every game.

Thanks for reading.

Comments